17 April 2009
2009 NATIONAL DISABILITY AWARDS
Senator Mitch Fifield, the Coalition’s spokesman for Disabilities, today encouraged Australians to nominate someone who had made a unique contribution to the lives of people with disabilities for the 2009 National Disability Awards.
“The award winners from previous years were truly inspirational Australians who have overcome a variety of obstacles to make a valuable contribution to their local community or wider Australian society.
“I’m sure there are many more worthy Australians deserving of the same recognition this year.
“Often these people work tirelessly for the benefit of others with little formal recognition. The least that we can do is take this opportunity to thank them for their efforts.”
The award categories are:
– Minister’s Lifelong Achievement Award for a person, over 25 years of age, with or without disability who has demonstrated a sustained and extraordinary personal commitment to improving and/or reshaping the lives of people with disability.
– Disability Rights Young Leader Award for a young person, 12-25 years of age, with disability who has raised awareness and shown outstanding leadership in improving the lives of people with disability.
– Business Award for a person with or without disability who has displayed an innovative approach and achieved substantial outcomes, in advancing the lives of people with disability in areas such as transport, housing, communication and technology. No age limit.
– Local Government Award for a person who has challenged or lobbied, and has succeeded in implementing substantial change by breaking down barriers faced by people with disability. No age limit.
– Social Inclusion Award for a person who has worked towards a more inclusive environment by creating opportunities for people with disability to participate in areas such as sport, the arts, education and the wider community. No age limit.
Nominations close 5.00pm AEST Friday 22 May 2009.
Further information and nomination forms are available from: http://www.idpwd.com.au/